Etienne Barnard gave an invited talk at Indiana University Bloomington in Aug 2018 and met Prof Douglas Hoffstadter.
Marelie Davel delivered her inaugural address on 23 Aug 2019.
Five MuST students received sponsorships to attend the inaugural CAIR conference in Dec 2019, the precursor to SACAIR.
News and events
- MuST at AAAI 2020. (Read more)
- Marelie Davel and Etienne Barnard were the editors of the 2019 Forum for Artificial Intelligence Research (FAIR) proceedings.
- MuST hosted the annual CAIR FAIR on 7-9 November 2018 in Hermanus. (Read more)
- MuST researcher gives an invited talk at Indiana University Bloomington. (Read more)
- From speech technology to AI: MuST elaborates on its new research focus. (Read more)
- Ulrike Janke represented South Africa at a special Interspeech session entitled "Digital revolution for under-resourced languages" in Stockholm on 23 August 2017.
- In June 2017, Marelie Davel gave an invited lecture at the Idiap research institute (Martigny, Switzerland), and acted as a PhD jury member at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Lausanne, Switzerland).
- A web-based speech transcription platform developed by the MuST team has applications for government and the private sector. (Read more)
- MuST formed part of the winning consortium of the BABEL project. (Read more)
- MuST participated in the conferring of the 1000th IT doctoral degree at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in Germany. (Read more)
- MuST hosted the Spoken Language Technology for Under-resourced Languages (SLTU) 2012 conference in Cape Town, May 2012.
- MuST co-organised the MediaEval Spoken Web Search Task in Pisa, Italy, 2011 and 2012.
- PhD student Oluwapelumi Giwa received an ISCA Travel Grant to attend Interspeech 2014, Singapore.
- MuST research associate, Willem Basson, was the Vanderbijlpark Campus winner of the S2A3 bronze medal 2014, for his Masters dissertation 'Category-based Phoneme-to-Grapheme Transliteration'.
- Research professors Marelie Davel and Etienne Barnard received the NWU Top Technology Innovator Award 2013.
- Prof Etienne Barnard received a Google Research Award in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2013.
- Postdoctoral fellow, Dr Charl van Heerden was nominated as one of Mail & Guardian’s 200 Young South Africans in 2011.
Oluwapelumi Giwa, Marelie Davel and Charl van Heerden at Interspeech 2014.
Willem Basson is the VC campus winner of the S2A3 bronze medal, 2014.
Marelie Davel and Tian Theunissen visited Facebook AI, while attending AAAI in New York, in Feb 2020.