This year is the second year of the Modiragatsi competition, where we invite young innovators to enter our design competition. All participants will receive a goodie bag and mentoring. The winner of Modiragatsi will win a grand prize which will be determined soon.
The Modiragatsi Competition is an innovative competition for South African girls aged 16-18, hosted by the NWU's Faculty of Engineering. It is a sponsored Women in Engineering initiative that seeks to encourage young girls to become involved in the design and manufacturing industry; as a result, the competition is only open to female participants.
To register for the competition, please click on this link.
In the light of the recent events and uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Modiragatsi Innovation competition deadline has been extended to 31 July 2020.
How to Enter
Individuals or teams or 2 should identify a problem to which they can design an innovative solution. Using materials available to them, they should build a prototype and perform adequate testing. The entire problem definition, design thinking, prototyping, testing and analysis should be then submitted in a summary of 200 - 250 words accompanied by ether a 2-min video/20-slides on the following categories:
- Entries close on midnight Friday, 31 July 2020.
- Entries can be individual or in teams of 2.
- Entrants must be female.
- Entrants must be South African citizens.
- At least one team member is required to have Mathematics & Physical Science as school subjects.
- Signed consent should be given from the parents/legal guardians to participate in the competition and all the related activities.
- The NWU cannot be held responsible for any development done by testing activities by the entrants.
Additional Information Downloads