Are you a female under the age of 25 looking at problems facing the world around you and eager to be part of the solution? Would you like to develop the skills needed to not only solve those problems but also turn your solution into a business? Do you want to make a difference and contribute to achieving the United Nations' 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Then, this is your chance to shine!
We are excited to announce the InnovateHER Youth Innovation Competition, developed specifically, for female youth will not only offer you the opportunity to win a once-in-a-lifetime technology tour abroad, but our unique training programme will develop your skills in creative and innovative problem-solving, mobile app development and entrepreneurship!
Because we understand the challenges already facing our female youth, and we know that by taking part in this competition we are adding to your load, our Mental Health team developed a tailored and integrated Mind, Body and Spirit development programme that will support you on this journey to becoming a tech boss lady!
By participating in this competition, you will have the opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals, receive mentorship from leading experts, and potentially secure funding to bring your idea to life. You will also have the chance to make a positive impact on society and contribute to achieving the SDGs.
You can enter the competition by identifying a problem that you believe can be addressed with a digital solution (mobile phone app). We are looking for creative and innovative ideas that address one or more of the SDGs, ranging from poverty reduction and climate action to gender equality and quality education.
This competition is open to all female youth innovators between the ages of 15 and 25. We encourage you to showcase your talent and creativity by submitting your innovative idea and demonstrating how it can make a significant impact on the world. You don’t need to have the solution all figured out yet – we will help you with that!
Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity to showcase your innovative solution and make a difference. Join us in our mission to create a sustainable and equitable world for all. Submit your idea today!
The innovateHER initiative (Previously known as Modiragatsi) is implemented under the leadership of Prof Leenta Grobler, a true trailblazer in digital transformation in Africa, with a passion for making a positive impact on people's lives through her work. The competition was her brainchild and passion project since 2018, and she successfully hosted this competition for the past 4 years (upskilling 350 high school girls from all walks of life).
You can enter as an individual or a team of up to 3 (individuals under the age of 18 should have a teacher entering with them who is willing to act as mentor during the training and guardian during the trip abroad). Applications will close on 31 March 2023, and online training will commence on 11 April 2023. The graduation function and final judging will take place in Sandton on 9 August 2023.
What will I learn?
All participants will receive access to our online training platform, peer support group and interactive sessions for a period of 12 weeks to develop their idea.
Training topics will include:
- Design Thinking for Product Development
- Project Management
- Conceptualising your Business with the Business Model Canvas
- Mobile Application Development
- Financial Fundamentals
- Mental Health & Wellness Support
What will I gain?
All participants who complete the programme will be invited to a hackathon event to implement the Mobile App Development content & a graduation function where the finalists will compete live to determine the ultimate winners. If your idea is viable, feasible, unique & catches the eye of one of our industry judges, you can potentially secure funding to bring your idea to life. The overall winners will win a once-in-a-lifetime technology tour abroad, with Prof Leenta as your guide.
How to Enter
1. Individuals or teams of up to three participants may enter with a teacher from their school.
2. Start by identifying a problem related to the 17 SDGs that you have personal experience with, within your community, and that you think can be solved by means of a mobile phone app.
3. Create a short (3-minute) TikTok-style video to convince us what the problem you identified is and why the problem should be addressed.
4. Write a summary explaining the problem, why it should be solved and what your conceptual idea would be in approximately 350 words.
- Applications will close at midnight on 31 March 2023
- The mentoring programme for participants will take place in an online format from April 2023 with the final presentations due at midnight on 25 July 2023.
- The winners will be announced at a morning event in Sandton on 9 August 2023.
- The winners trip to Europe, facilitated by SIEMENS, is planned for early November of 2023.
- Entries can be individual or in teams of 3.
- At least 1 of the team members should identify as female.
- A teacher may enter with more than one team from the same school
- Signed consent should be given from the parents/legal guardians to participate in the competition and all the related activities.
- The winners should be in possession of a valid passport by 1 September 2023 in order to travel.
Please submit your entry here.
If you require any additional information, please contact us via email: innovateHER@nwu.ac.za or WhatsApp: +27677900168